A sheep is a person who does not make informed decisions and opinions. Those I classify as sheep typically fall into one or more of the following categories. Please note: I am generalizing, and there are exceptions to every rule.
- Bandwagon riders- everyone else is doing it, so I will do the same. After all, I wouldn't want to be unique from others.
- Media rhetoric spewers- "I saw it on Fox News," or "It was on a website somewhere." Taking the easy route of gathering biased information to base ones opinion on is not an informed decision.
- The bible said soers - using the bible as the SOLE (pun intended) reason for having an opinion does not an informed opinion make. I respect your belief system (even if your belief system tells you not to respect mine), and the bible (and modern organized religion) is a basis for a moral system. However, simply saying that "the bible says I must do this" or "the bible says I must believe that" is ludicrous, especially when you back your opinion with nothing else. If you use the bible as a starting point, and then continue to do research to make an informed decision and included that information with your belief system, then you are NOT a sheep. Sheep believe what they are told to believe by whatever religions leader and the bible, and do not look any further.
- Cherry picker religious nuts who use the bible as the sole source of information and directive on any and all opinions (addendum to the previous bullet) - Cherry picker religion is when a person claims to be a christian/buddhist/jew/hindu/muslim/whatever, but only follows the religions doctrines of their chosen religion that they want to follow and ignore the rest. Sadly, the vast majority of those who claim to belong to any given major or minor religion tend to fall into this category. I have no respect for your religion as neither do you, or your would follow the religion completely or not at all.
- Straight party ticket voters - Sorry, but if you are still in the mind set that our county is based on a two party system, and that all persons belonging to that party all believe the same way, then you are beyond hope. Additionally, every party is multiple planks in their platform, and sometimes, those planks contradict each other. Elections are about the PERSON that is going to be representing you, not the party to which they belong. If you do not take the time to review and understand each individual person that is running for any given position, or if you vote and make decisions simply because they are "Republican" or "Democrat," then you are not better than the bible said soers or the Cherry picker religions nuts. There are very few (in fact, only one) straight party ticket voter (and yes, he is a Republican) that has ever shown that he takes the time to research the other side of the coin and still comes to the same opinion. I respect his input and debate simply because they are informed, even if they are opposite of my opinions.
- Those who absolutely refuse to even listen to another point of view - there are something like 7 billion people on this planet. Each of us have our own opinion and point of view. When you expect me to listen to yours, and then you flat out refuse to listen to mine (not necessarily accept my opinion, but just listen), your opinion becomes obsolete in my eyes. You are so afraid that you might hear a convincing argument that opposes your opinion that you refuse to listen to anything from anyone. That makes you a sheep.
There you go. Sheep clearly defined. You are lead easily because you don't want to become informed.
I am fine with your opinions and beliefs, even if they don't coincide with mine. All I ask is that you do the same (accept that your opinion is just that - an opinion) and be willing to listen to mine, that not everyone is going to agree with you, and that you back every opinion with knowledge, research, and a little logical thinking. Is that too much to ask? Apparently, it is. Welcome to America.